|Bachelor of Science
Digitalization is the biggest growth market worldwide – waiting for young talents to shape it! The “International Business Information Systems” Bachelor’s program delivers know-how and key qualifications in digital business, computer science, and data science for the 21st century.
Professors with extensive management and research experience teach applicable knowledge and methods to prepare students for careers in business management and consulting.
Four qualities make this program and faculty unique:
- It is the only accredited Bachelor’s program in Germany in the field of Business Information Systems taught 100% in English, combining digital business management with computer science and data science.
- It is the first faculty in Germany that founded Business Information Systems (in 1971).
- It is the only faculty in Germany and the first faculty worldwide that teaches and certificates students to become experts in Efficient Resource Planning (ERP) on its own SAP system.
- The faculty has some of the best hardware and software equipment in Germany to teach and train students in data science, big data analysis, and eCommerce (eShop Design).
Students benefit from dedicated mentoring and individual talent-based career development plans, combined with the faculty’s excellent reputation and professors with management experience, helping them to achieve outstanding career perspectives worldwide.
The Business Information Systems degree program teaches the theory and practice of business administration in combination with computer science.
The International Business Information Systems Bachelor’s degree program at Furtwangen University is designed to take seven semesters (3.5 years).
- Each six-month semester consists of lectures and a three-week exam period followed by a break of several weeks.
- The teaching language is English. German language courses at the university are available at no extra charge.
In the first three semesters, students take foundation courses and learn the fundamentals of business management and computer science.
In the fourth semester, students gain practical experience in a paid internship. They spend six months in a company, during which they apply the theoretical knowledge and skills learned.
In the final three semesters, students take advanced courses. Five elective courses may be chosen to acquire deeper knowledge of special subjects of individual interest. Electives can be taken, for example, in app development and advanced programming, performance marketing, data analytics or logistics & digital supply chain management. Elective courses may also be taken at a partner university abroad.
The study programme is completed with the Bachelor’s thesis in the seventh semester.
- The thesis is dedicated to research in a topic of the student‘s special interest.
- Students are prepared for the thesis by a dedicated course in scientific working, research methods and academic writing.
- The Bachelor’s thesis may be carried out in cooperation with a company to develop a solution for a real-life task.
- A successful thesis carried out in cooperation with a company at the end of a study programme is an advantage for our students, as it might be easier to gain full-time employment in the company afterwards.
Hands-on exercise with technical systems and applied methods in state-of-the-art laboratories are an essential part of the practically-oriented study programme. Students train their skills in various case studies, business projects and software projects.
- Copies of school leaving certificates (and university certificates, if available) must be verified at a German embassy or consulate in the home country of the candidate.
- These verified copies must be validated by the Studienkolleg Center for International Students in Constance, Germany.
- Proof of proficiency in written and spoken English at B2 level (see language requirements)
- Letter of motivation (one page explaining your background, goals, and strengths)
Applicants are required to prove their proficiency in written and spoken English at B2 level (upper-intermediate level) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), or Cambridge FCE level indicated more precisely by one of the following tests:
- TOEFL ibt test score minimum 79 (TOEFL cbt score min. 213, TOEFL PBT min. 550)
- IELTS test score minimum 6,25
- Cambridge English scale minimum of 175
- Cambridge English scale minimum of 175
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English, grade B or above
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English, grade A
- GCSE in English, grade B or above
- International GCSE in English as a second language, grade B or above
- German Abitur or Fachhochschulreife, English mark of 2.0 (10, 11, 12 points) or above
Alternatively, students may submit a confirmation from their previous university that their education was conducted in English if the student has successfully completed at least one year (two semesters) at a different university.
Furtwangen University of Applied Sciences is a leading, state-run university of applied sciences in the south-west of Germany. The university was founded in 1850 and has nine departments and offers 51 fully accredited degree programs, mainly in the fields of technology, health, and business. The excellent facilities include modern lecture halls, an outstanding IT infrastructure, cutting-edge laboratories, and one of the best academic libraries in Germany.
In the International Student Barometer, Furtwangen University was ranked one of the best universities in Germany in the following areas:
- Study program organization (second place)
- Quality of lectures (third place)
- Class size and learning support by professors (third place)
- Support through buddy program (third place)
- Internationally oriented lectures (third place) and
- Host culture (second place).
15 January for summer semester (starting 15 March)