A plethora of international institutions and universities around the world offer special scholarships or fellowships to facilitate women’s higher education. Some scholarships awarded every year. If you keep an eye on the website of the concerned university or institution, you can know the updated information about various lucrative scholarships. Moreover, there is a range of scholarships, grants, fellowships, or special allowances for women in several reputed universities, educational institutions, or laboratories of the world. Generally, to proliferate women’s education and their establishment some particular renowned scholarships allocated for women. Today, in this article I will discuss such a scholarship named ‘AAUW Fellowship’ in detail. Stay tuned till the last word.
AAUW is formerly familiar as the American Association of University Women Fellowship. These fellowships are awarded by the American Association of University Women. Basically, It is an international grant for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not United States citizens or permanent residents. Both graduate and postgraduate students at accredited institutions will receive help and support.
Brief History of AAUW Fellowship
This fellowship started providing after the U.S. Civil War. With a growing middle class and more women looking to go to university, AAUW founder Marion Talbot gave the call to support a fund for women’s graduate education. She and Fellowships chair Christine Ladd Franklin asked all members to contribute $1 per year. Further, the main objective was “to enable gifted women to use their intellectual powers for the good of humanity”. As a result, in 1888, the very first fellowship went to Ida Street, a pioneer in the field of early American Indian history, in the amount of $350. It was the beginning of AAUW’s history of funding women in education.
Host Institution: Accredited any U.S. institutions.
Women who are not United States citizens or permanent residents. Preference is given to women who show prior commitment to the advancement of women and girls through civic, community, or professional work. Moreover, women from developing countries get the motivation most to apply.
Master’s/Professional Fellowship: $18,000
Doctorate Fellowship: $20,000
Postdoctoral Fellowship: $30,000
AAUW Fellowship provides the recipients with the below benefits. International Fellowship funds are available for:
- Educational expenses.
- Living expenses.
- Dependent child care.
- Finally, travel allowance to professional meetings, conferences, or seminars, as long as it does not exceed 10 percent of the fellowship.
Eligibility to Apply for AAUW Fellowship
- The applicants must belong to an underdeveloped or developing country, emerging nation, or to some suppressed minority.
- The applicants should not have received any AAUW scholarships earlier.
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record.
- Applications are only open for women who are not embroiled with AAUW management or staff.
- In addition, applicants who show the potential to work for the betterment of girls/women upon returning to their home country.
- The applicants need to be citizens of any country other than the USA. In fact, the applicants, who are going to get their permanent residency or dual citizenship status in America in the next year, are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants who have a strong research potential or proposed plan of study.
- The applicants need to have at least a bachelor’s degree, should be proficient in English, and required to prove their intention of returning to their home country upon completion of their degree program.
- Applicants who have previously done some community work or civil service in their home country.
- Eventually, those who have a strong financial need for the scholarship and whose country is in need of specialized foreign education.
Applicants have to fill an online application form. Then upload all the required documents. Some of the documents that need to submit are recommendations from teachers or employers, academic transcripts, proof of degrees, proof of English language proficiency/proof of the fact that the applicant’s native language is English via a written statement, and a résumé. Three recommenders who are professors or professional colleagues well acquainted with you, your work, and your academic background, in striving towards scholarly pursuits. Thus, complete the application properly and then submit it. If you meet all the eligibility criteria, the selection panel will review your application form. To scrutinize more about the fellowship, you can visit their official website.
Deadline: The online application form and all other required documents have to submit by November 15th, 2021. By April 15th, 2022 all the applicants will come to know their scholarship results.
In the beginning, women received AAUW fellowships to ensure they had the opportunity to pursue their dreams. Here and now, this grant awarded for women’s empowerment as well. It becomes possible only for the long-standing generosity of its members and supporters. Through these scholarships, women achieve encouragement not only to pursue higher education but also to conduct research in fields. For instance, Science, Business, Finance, Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Peace, and International Development. If you think yourself eligible completely for this grant, you are cordially invited to apply. You can learn more about other scholarships as well as various renowned universities’ information on a daily basis by clicking just once to this site. Wishing you luck.